Just a quick announcement. If you missed it over at All Indie Writers, an updated and revised edition of The 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp for Freelance Writers was recently released under the 3 Beat Books brand.
The e-book is the first in The Query-Free Freelancer e-book series, leading up to a larger planned print book release.
There is a special 40% discount July 4-5 if you use discount code FREEDOM40 on the order page.
As mentioned on the main 3 Beat Media blog, a website was recently launched at BusyAuthors.com. This website will serve as the home of a new e-book series.
The Busy Author’s Guide e-book series will offer practical book marketing, author PR, and business advice to authors. This information can be used by indie authors and traditionally-published authors alike. The emphasis will be on simplifying the business side of being an author and selling books so writers can spend more time writing without the sacrifice of shoddy business and marketing efforts.
The first e-book in the series will be released by the end of February 2014 (and possibly sooner). That e-book will be The Busy Author’s Guide to Building an Author Platform.
I just wanted to update you on some of my current fiction projects. Specifically, I’d like to share some information on two new short fiction series in the works.
I’m writing a short story horror series under the name A.J. Klein, and I’m working on a children’s series under the name Poppy Andersen.
While the two genres are worlds apart, both series revolve around fairy tales in some way. The horror series is one I’ve wanted to pursue for years, so I’m especially excited about that project.
I won’t go into details about the stories themselves at this point other than a quick update on their progress. (I don’t like sharing plot and character details in too much depth before something is nearing publication.)
The first picture book manuscript for the children’s series has been drafted. The first horror short story should be completed by the end of this week. They’ll both go through initial edits next week, followed by professional edits. I’m not sure if I’ll send them to an editor right away or shelve them for a brief period so I can review them with fresh eyes first and make further changes.
In addition to these short fiction series, I’m still working on the first Murder Scripts mystery novel under the name Aria Klein. And I haven’t picked up on the first horror novel manuscript yet as planned. I’ve decided to delay that for a short time while I write and release e-book versions of at least the first few short stories in the genre. Farther down the road, I’ll release both an e-book and print book version of the full short story collection.
That’s where things stand now. You can learn more about progress on these and other projects by following the corresponding author blogs.
In my last post I mentioned that I was in the process of handling e-book rebranding — specifically e-books for writers being moved to The Query-Free Freelancer brand.
Today I’d like to share a simple mockup for the new e-book cover designs. All e-books in the series will use the same template and later the print book’s cover will go to a designer (but its design will be kept somewhat in line with branding elements here).
Here’s the preview:
There were a few things I wanted to include or accomplish here:
- I wanted to incorporate the series branding (the diamond badge you see there).
- I wanted the design kept simple, in line with other books in the niche.
- I wanted to keep some of the branding from the original website (the blue and green, although shades were tweaked — I considered adding or swapping in orange, but too many similar books used it).
- I wanted the title and author name to be large enough that they would scale well and still be readable in smaller promotional images.
If you have any feedback or suggestions (such as further tweaks to the blue and green shades used), please leave a comment to share your thoughts. I’ll consider any suggestions that come in prior to the first e-book’s launch under the new branding (which should be next month).
I’m pretty excited about some of the changes coming up. Here are a few updates to keep you in the loop:
- All of my previously-released e-books are being rebranded over the next month or so to tie them to the new 3 Beat Books brand.
- I’m retiring my Web Writer’s Guide e-book at the end of November. You can save 50% on it until that time by entering discount code RETIREMENT when you order it through WebWritersGuide.com.
- The content from the former Web Writer’s Guide is being split up. Some of that content will be re-edited, updated, and expanded in a selection of shorter e-books to be released in the Query-Free Freelancer series through All Freelance Writing.
- The first two new e-books in the Query-Free Freelancer series are due to be released this December.
There’s so much going on these days with 3 Beat Media and 3 Beat Books. New e-books, a nonfiction manuscript being edited before publication, a new novel manuscript in the works under Aria Klein, and quite a few new websites gearing up for launch. Check back here and the 3 Beat Media blog for all of the latest updates.